Performance Appraisal Interview

Image result for manager with employee

https://www.clearreview.com

Performance Appraisal Interview Questions

I interviewed Nadine Fernelius. She works at Mtn. View Hospital. She was the E.D. unit manager for 8 years.

1. What criteria scale do you use for performance appraisals?

Satisfactory, needs improvement, above average, excellent

1. How long do your evaluations typically last?

15- 20 minutes

1. Do you include peer evaluations? Why or why not?

Yes, I would do them myself and also used a monkey survey to establish peer information to help with the appraisal.

1. How frequently do you hold performance appraisals?

Just once a year, but I feel like they should be done more often to get feedback more often. Especially new nurses coming into the unit, they need more frequent feedback than once a year.

1. How do your performance appraisals tie into determining salary raises for your employees?

Performance appraisals weighed heavily on salary raises with the workers on the unit. If the worker needs improvement, I would sit down and make an improvement plan with the worker. The bottom line salary adjustment was determined by HR.

1. Do you provide an opportunity for employees to express concerns about their performance or growth prior to beginning a formal evaluation?

Yes, we print off an evaluation and have the worker perform a self-evaluation. If they have any questions or concerns I arrange a meeting before having the formal evaluation.

1. Do you feel like your current protocol for performance appraisals have lead to stronger relationships between you and your employees?

Yes, because it is nice to sit down with each employee and have a productive conversation. It’s important to establish an open line of communication and have the employee feel comfortable with coming to me with questions. I just wish we would do it more often in our organization.

1. How do you organize your performance appraisals with so many employees?

Since we do them once a year, I would take 3 weeks to focus on appraisals. I was willing to come in early, or accommodate to their schedules in order to get it done.

1. What are some positive outcomes you see from conducting performance appraisals?

Anonymous peer reviews were great. It was a great motivator for change or for those doing well. It created a greater bond between the team.

1. Are there any negative outcomes you see from conducting performance appraisals?

There were a few instances where people who had bad reviews who were not pleased. If there were several peer reviews who said the same about another person then in was an indicator that we needed to look more into a possible corrective action. But we use the reviews to help each other out, gain a better understanding of how we can come together as a team.

1. What role does goal setting and accomplishment play when it comes to evaluating your employees’ performance?

Huge! Whether it is department goals, personal goals, and hospital goals, they all play an important role in measuring performance, holding people accountable and fostering continuous improvement.

1. How do you handle under-performing or problematic employees?

Frequent visits. I help them set up a performance improvement project with a time frame. Set goals with them and have a follow-up evaluation. Give them time to improve and show that they want to improve and perform better. It’s also important to give them help and allow multiple nurse leaders help the worker succeed, evaluate them, and be a resource to them.

The interview gave me good insight to how a manager thinks before and during these appraisal interviews. It was also good to talk to her about disciplinary action. A lot of things we discussed we also covered in our group discussions and lecture but the one thing that she mentioned that I like is that when setting up appraisal interviews she said she took them very seriously. She said, “I would make sure to be flexible with my schedule to accommodate my employees. If I needed to come in early to work to interview someone coming off of a graveyard shift or stay late to meet after a day shift then I did it. I tried to be respectful of everyone’s time and mindful of the appraisal as well. This is their livelihood, and people look forward to getting raises.”