Week 7 Journal

1. What did you actually learned from the unit.

This week’s lesson and discussion covered budgets. We covered some of the basic aspects of a budget including: a monthly budge, monthly revenue, expenses, and also year-to-date revenue an expenses. Although most of this discussion made sense to me, the challenge was when we were asked to cut the budget by 10%. This was hard because although there were several areas I could cut, I also understood that each cut back could have consequences, especially when some of the more apparent cuts could come from staffing expenses. I think balancing a budget takes definite skill. It’s not as easy as transferring numbers or simple subtractions.

It once again was interesting to hear from each of my teammates about how they would balance a budget. Each person had a little different perspective and approached the budget cuts slightly different. I see once again how important it is to work as a team and come together to make the best decision possible. My opinion of budgets has changed to realize it is a lot harder to do than previously anticipated.

This was good information to know and better understand. It helps me realize the choices my manager has to make on a weekly basis on behalf of our unit. I hope that I can help out with the budget by way of improvement projects with team members on my unit and help reduce waste on a daily basis to help out unit stay on budget.

1. Your personal feelings about the material covered.

I realize now, how important it is to be engaged in improvement projects at work, not only to stay on budget but to increase revenue by eliminating waste or wasteful practices. I think it would be beneficial for managers to communicate aspects of the unit budget that we as caregivers can help influence. This involvement of each individual may produce greater changes and improvements within the unit.

Image result for pie chart cartoon

https://kisspng.com