Reflective Journal Week 9

Image result for budget pictures

https://www.shutterstock.com

1. What did you actually learned from the unit.

I learned that scheduling for a unit can be very hard. You have to balance the needs of the unit with several disciplines (HUC’s, RN’s, PCT’s) as well as try to accommodate to each person’s personal needs as far as days off or weekend coverage and so on. I can see how it can be a full time job just to have a scheduler who works on the schedule all the time.

It was interesting to run different approaches by each other to make up a schedule that fit the needs of the unit. Everyone had different input and ultimately we constructed a schedule that made sense. By doing this activity I realize I don’t ever want to be responsible for scheduling a unit, or maybe I just need more practice.

It helped me better understand the challenges that managers and charge nurses have in ensuring that we have enough coverage for each shift. It can be tedious to try to make a schedule. 

1. Your personal feelings about the material covered.

It was good information to cover. I’m now more empathetic toward those who have the responsibility of creating a unit schedule and how that have to respond to the day to day changes of the unit and its current census.