Reflective Journal Week 15

1. What did you actually learned from the unit.

I found this week’s lecture very informational. I learned about risk management and how they interact with us as nurses and get involved with patients as well. They have our best interest in mind as well as the patient’s. It’s scary to think about sometimes that I may have to be in a legal dispute over care of a patient. But it’s nice to know there is a legal team available to help me and a risk management team to guide me through the process and also learn from the situation so it doesn’t happen again to anyone.

That scenario was hard. I can see how restraints were indicated to keep the patient safe and help control his impulsiveness. It would also be hard to swallow if I had put the restraints on and find out he had burned himself. Every situation is unique, risk management has seen a lot of scenarios and can help in the situation.

If I feel harm has come to my patient or my safety or the safety of my patient is at risk then it’s good to get risk management involved. I need to know who to call in order to start the conversation so I can protect myself and protect my patients from any medical malpractice or bad decisions.

1. Your personal feelings about the material covered.

I can see how important it is to follow protocols and do not cut corners. We have standards in practice to keep our patients safe and prevent us as nurses from being a part of any adverse events. It’s also important to know how risk management can help you in a time of need.

Three red dice reading: Manage your risk

http://www.arusd.org